Netflix has a lot of shows, some are masterpieces and some are pure trash.
With this articles series, I will try going through some “Netflix Originals” shows, giving a short summary of what I see as pros and cons. At the end of the article, I’ll share my thoughts as to whether I would recommend this show or not. In this first edition, I will talk about the Danish post-apocalyptic drama “The Rain“.
The Rain follows Simone and her little brother Rasmus. They are taken to a bunker in Copenhagen by their parents because their father predicts a toxic rain storm. Their father has to leave them there because he wants to go to find an antidote but promises to come back. The children then watch how dangerous the rain is first hand as their mother is thrown out into it and dies.
Alone in the bunker, Simone takes care of Rasmus as the last promise to their father before he left, but as the supplies in the bunker run out, they have to head out after surviving in the bunker for 6 years.
But did the rain stop? What happened to their father? Did he have anything to do with all of this? What was the deal about the toxic rain? Are there any survivors?
Those and many more are the questions the show take on in 8 episodes of 40 minutes each.
- The story is interesting.
- The soundtrack for the series is very fitting and showcases some great Danish artists.
- Despite her young age, Alba August brings a great performance and I hope to see more from her in the future.
- The scenery of the show is very well made and adds to the mood.
- Through the short time of 8 episodes, the show manages to show a lot of character development.
- There are way too many characters – some of them seem forgettable and could be written out.
- The English dub Netflix has added seems very odd, and the accents do not compare to the original Danish voices.
- There are a lot of plot holes and characters that are left or killed without any explanation who they are.
- There are many flashbacks throughout the show and it left me with a feeling of “tell don’t show”.
I really wanted to like this series, but there are so many things that I felt could be done differently. I have only seen through the first season once so this might just not be something for me but I would not recommend it.
It is not a bad series but mediocre – give it a watch if you like post-apocalyptic shows like walking dead but do not expect a masterpiece.